If you are putting together a marketing plan for your company, chances are that you will need to use landing pages at some point.
With that in mind, Landing page hosting consideration that must be made.
After all there are multiple ways to host your landing page and numerous platforms you can use to do so. Choosing the best method for your business depends on your goals, your budget, and your current digital marketing strategy.
This post covers everything you need to know about landing page hosting including the different ways you can host landing pages and important considerations before choosing a provider.
However, before we dive in lets cover what landing page hosting actually is, and why you need it in the first place.
Landing page hosting: The basics
Do you need hosting for a landing page?
Often when people are just starting to do their research on landing pages they will ask if they need hosting for their landing pages. The short answer is yes. If you want to have a live landing page, it needs to be hosted somewhere. Fortunately there are a few hosting options that you can choose from where your landing page can live on. We will take a deeper dive into these options later on.
Web hosting is essentially an online service that allows you to store all the files and data that make up your landing page(s) on a server. A server is a computer that runs constantly in ensure that your landing page stays up all the time for web users to visit. Whenever someone types in the url of your landing page in the search bar, your host pulls all the files needed to display your landing page, typically in a fraction of a second.
Often people liken web hosting to a house. Your landing page is made up of a bunch of files and data that need to live somewhere, and web hosting is essentially a house, or a place where those files can live. The URL of your landing page is like a house address: its a way for people to identify and find your landing page.
How much does it cost to host a landing page?
The cost to host a landing page depends on many factors such as the platform you are using to host your landing page.
By using an affordable web host coupled with a CMS like WordPress (which would be used to build your landing page), the cost of web hosting could be $5 or less every month.
On the other hand, by using a dedicated landing page builder, the cost could be a bit higher. Depending on what service you go with and the plan you subscribe to, the price could be anywhere from around $10 to $100+ every month.
How can I host a landing page for free?
Dedicated landing page builders are often paid subscription services. However, there are a few that have free versions, allowing you to host your landing page for free.
These free versions naturally have limitations of course. For instance these plans may limit the number of landing pages you can build, or they might restrict the tools you can use to design your landing pages. However, these free plans can be great for beginners that just need a simple landing page or two.
3 ways you can host landing pages
“Ok, ok… hosting is a must… but where do you host a landing page?”
Ultimately, there are a few types of platforms where your landing pages can live, and each has its own unique benefits and drawbacks.
Web hosting service + CMS (like WordPress)
The first option would be to use a web hosting service with a content management system (which is the platform used to actually create the landing page itself).
There are various web hosting services that you can choose from including:
- Shared hosting: Where your website (or landing page in this case) is hosted on the same server as multiple other websites. This tends to be one of the more affordable options.
- Dedicated hosting: Where your landing page is hosted on a server dedicated to just your landing page.
- Virtual private server hosting: This option gives you some of the control you get with dedicated hosting with some of the benefits of shared hosting like affordability.
- Managed hosting: Here the hosting provider looks after the day-to-day management your hosting and provide technical services such as software setup, maintenance, and technical support.
- Could hosting: With cloud hosting, the landing page isnt hosted on a single server but rather a network of connected cloud servers for greater scalability and flexibility.
Discussing the benefits and drawbacks of each of these types of hosting is beyond the scope of this post, however, the point is there are many options out there, each with their own unique benefits.
With any of these solutions, you would use content management system (CMS) to create the actual landing page and manage all the content and media used for that landing page.
One of the most popular content management systems is WordPress, which powers over a third of websites on the internet. However, while WordPress is widely used, there are other CMS that you can use to host a landing page such as Joomla and Drupal to name a few.
You can build a website on wordpress for the purposes of hosting a single webpage, which would of course be your landing page.
Often, if people have a website already built with wordpress with many pages, it can be incredibly convenient for them to build a landing page off of the same website. You would simply need to create a page of your website that will be your landing page.
WordPress has hundreds of plugins you can use to design captivating landing pages. The best part is that many are designed to be easy to use even if you don’t have a technical background. With drag and drop builders, you can design stunning landing pages relatively easily and efficiently.
Alternatively, you can purchase a landing page template from an online vendor, upload code for the landing page to wordpress, make any edits to customize the landing page, and then publish. This solutions is much faster and efficient, however, you have more ability to customize landing page design by building landing pages yourself with a plugin.
Landing page builders
Landing page builders are software thats designed for…. you guessed it– building landing page.
The best part about landing page builders is that with these tools, not only can you create landing pages, but you can also host your landing pages on these softwares’ servers as well. These solutions take care of hosting behind the scenes so that you don’t need to go through process of setting hosting up like you would by building your landing page on a CMS like WordPress. The cost of hosting is factored into the monthly subscription for these platforms.
Unlike many plugins that you would use with a CMS like WordPress, landing page builders often have more advanced features and functionality. However, these solutions typically have drag and drop builders that are intuitive enough so that you can create landing pages without any technical experience.
A few features that you typically get with landing page builders include:
- Template libraries: Dedicated landing page builders often have libraries of dozens or even hundreds of professionally designed landing page templates. No matter what industry you are in or what your goal for your landing page is, chances are that premium landing page builders have the perfect template for you.
- Design features: The drag and drop editors of these landing page builders offer numerous design elements. Add media such as images and video, edit the layout of your landing pages, and add elements such as forms, popups, countdown timers or even add payment gateways.
- Split testing: With A/B split testing you can improve your landing pages conversion rate dramatically. Landing page builders make doing split testing a breeze.
- Analytics: With analytics features you can track the performance of your landing pages by studying vital data such as website visitors, and conversions. Some landing page builders even have heat mapping that allows you to see where on your landing page visitors are clicking the most.
- Subaccounts: With subaccounts you can share access to these platforms with your team and clients as well. Subaccounts make it easy to stay organized when building out landing pages with multiple people.
There are numerous landing page builders out there. Some of the leading premium landing page builders include:
Alternatively, there are many website builders that are capable of building stand-alone landing pages as well. A few of these solutions include Wix, Ucraft, and Squarespace.
Lastly, there are numerous email marketing platforms with landing page builder features as well. For instance, GetReponse has an excellent landing page builder. A few others include SendinBlue, Aweber, and Convertkit.
Social media (Facebook)
The third way to host your landing page would be by publishing it on Facebook. This option isn’t nearly as popular and practical in most cases as hosting your landing page on your website or simply through a dedicated landing page builder. However, hosting your landing page on Facebook is a possibility nevertheless.
Landing pages hosted on Facebook can be ideal for facebook advertising. If you are running a paid facebook advertising campaign, a using a facebook landing page might be a good idea. People on facebook often are reluctant to leave facebook to unfamiliar external websites. By hosting landing pages on facebook itself, you won’t have to worry about this issue.
To host your landing page on Facebook, you would first need a Facebook business page. Your landing page can live in standalone page on facebook or within a tab of your facebook page. Secondly, you will need to use a landing page builder that can publish landing pages to facebook. You will be able to create landing pages with these tools and then publish them directly to Facebook.