Email marketing is one of the most powerful ways to promote affiliate products. By capturing leads and effectively nurturing them with email campaigns, you can profit from your email list indefinitely.
However, deciding which email marketing tool you should use as an affiliate shouldn’t be taken lightly. After all, there are some tools that make growing your affiliate marketing business a breeze and others that you should avoid at all costs.
This post discusses the best email marketing software for affiliate marketing.
But first, what makes an email marketing software good for affiliate marketing in the first place?
What to Look For in an Email Marketing Software for Affiliate Marketing
There are two key criteria to look for in email marketing solutions: the software’s stance on affiliate marketing and the autoresponder feature.
The Provider’s Stance on Affiliate Marketing
A select few email marketing services actually allow email marketing. Many are STRICTLY against affiliate marketing and will shut your account down if they detect that you are doing affiliate marketing. In this worst case scenario you would lose all of your subscribers data (not to mention the relationship you have created with your subscribers over time).
That being said, an email marketing solution’s stance on email marketing is by far the most important thing to consider. Afterall, what good is an ESP if it prohibits email marketing?
The best email sending solutions for affiliates are ones that explicitly state that they allow affiliate marketing.
The Autoresponder Feature
It’s extremely common for affiliates to make money in the following ways:
- Using paid ads to capture leads and then promote affiliate offers through email
- Using forms on a website to capture leads and then promote affiliate offers through email
For affiliate marketers that employ these strategies, being able to effectively follow up with leads through email immediately after capturing them is critical. That being said, the autoresponder is arguably the most important feature you should consider in an email marketing solution.
A reputable autoresponder at the very least should have segmentation options, multiple trigger options, and subscription forms for collection emails.
Additionally, it can be very helpful to see how much email marketing plans cost with automation included. Some services charge drastically more for automation than others.
To get a feel for the automation features, it can also be helpful to sign up for a free trial of a few services to see which one you prefer the most.
Best Email Marketing Tools for Affiliate Marketing
The following software have been selected that are both affiliate marketing friendly, and have powerful autoresponders.
GetResponse is a powerful email marketing platform that aims to simplify and automate your email marketing. It comes with built-in lead generation forms as well automations to help you engage and nurture new subscribers. The platform is suitable for entrepreneurs, online marketers, and large companies looking for a reliable email marketing tool.
GetResponse comes with its own affiliate program so you can earn money by referring people to the platform. In addition to that, you can sign up for third-party affiliate platforms and start promoting to their audience. GetResponse integrates seamlessly with affiliate tracking software. In addition to that, you can promote your affiliate offers to your subscribers with drip campaigns, abandoned cart sequences, and autoresponders.
Speaking of autoresponders, GetResponse allows you to send automated sequences based on time or particular events. A few notable features include:
- Drag and drop email builder
- Set up delivery based on subscription time, with delays, or at exact hours
- Choose templates based on the goal of your autoresponder
- List and calendar view of your email campaigns
- Automated customer journeys to improve the performance of your campaigns
- Send autoresponder emails with relevant upsell offers based on past purchases
- Powerful campaign and auto responder analytics
SendX touts itself as the affordable and intuitive email marketing software. This platform allows you to send unlimited campaigns, build your email list, and automate advanced email marketing sequences to help you grow your business.
Among many industries listed on their website, SendX claims to be the email marketing software for affiliate marketers. They even offer a starter guide for affiliate marketing to help you earn more from your commissions. You can use popup and inline forms to grow your list as well as landing pages designed to help you capture more subscribers. You can also easily schedule campaigns that promote your affiliate marketing offers, track performance of each campaign, and even create automated sequences around a specific affiliate promotion.
When it comes to their autoresponder, there are a few notable features to keep in mind:
- You can optimize your email deliverability to earn more affiliate commissions
- Trigger emails based on user behavior
- Use more than 500,000 stock photos to enhance your email and autoresponder campaigns
- Resend campaigns to subscribers who didn’t open your campaign with a different subject line
- Keep track of your campaign’s performance with detailed analytics and performance reports
Aweber is one of the oldest email marketing platforms that offers a lot of features as well as a generous free plan. This platform encompasses landing pages, signup forms, and web notifications as well as automated email sequences. You can also segment your list based on their behavior and take advantage of their third-party integrations.
Some of the largest affiliate marketing platforms integrate perfectly with Aweber. This includes Clickbank and JVZoo. This allows you to promote your preferred affiliate marketing offers with every campaign you send with Aweber. You can take advantage of built-in email templates as well as powerful reports that let you track the performance of your campaigns.
A few notable features of their autoresponders include:
- The ability to trigger autoresponders based on user behavior
- Send your blog posts as automated newsletters via RSS
- Use drag and drop builder to design your email campaigns
- Use tags and segments to organize your list
- Pre-built campaign templates so you don’t have to start from scratch
- Track clicks, opens so you can optimize future campaigns and autoresponder campaigns
- In-house deliverability team to ensure your campaigns actually reach your subscribers’ inboxes
Sendlane is an email marketing platform geared towards online stores and online sellers. They offer both email marketing and SMS marketing features and they have a strong focus on improving your customer retention, driving sales, and automating customer experiences. They also integrate with a number of third-party platforms so you can easily grow your list.
When it comes to affiliate marketing, Sendlane integrates with Clickbank and JVZoo. This means you can promote various affiliate products and programs. You can send them automated sequences and autoresponders based on user behavior and engagement. You can also take advantage of their intelligent pop-ups to drive more signups and increase your affiliate marketing earning potential.
When it comes to autoresponders, there are a few notable features to keep in mind:
- Drag and drop email builder to help you design conversion-optimized email campaigns
- Design autoresponders from scratch or use one of their premade templates
- Increased deliverability as Sendlane owns its entire email infrastructure
- You can optimize send times to ensure your autoresponders with affiliate links are getting delivered when your subscribers are most likely to engage with your newsletter
- Segment your list and split test your autoresponder campaigns to optimize them for better conversions
EmailOctopus is a simple, yet powerful tool to help you grow your email list, nurture your subscribers, and send targeted email campaigns that drive sales. The platform offers a drag and drop email builder, built-in list segmentation, sign up forms, and landing pages.
When it comes to affiliate marketing, EmailOctopus says they don’t prohibit any industry from using their platform but some industries will be under more scrutiny than others. This includes affiliate marketing. So, if you plan on using EmailOctopus for affiliate links, make sure you’re not going overboard or sending those types of campaigns too often.
As far as autoresponders go, the key features include:
- Intuitive email builder and the ability to use built-in templates or import HTML email templates to use with your campaigns
- Simple drip campaigns to keep your audience engaged with your content
- List segmentation so you can send more targeted campaigns
- Detailed analytics for each campaign you send
- Integration with third-party tools and platforms such as Shopify, WordPress, Squarespace, Zapier, and more
- Developer API to build custom integrations
ConvertKit is an email marketing platform built with content creators in mind. It offers landing pages and sign up forms as well as email marketing automations and even the ability to sell digital products like courses and paid newsletters. They also integrate with a number of different tools and platforms to make it easy to grow your email list.
When it comes to affiliate marketing, ConvertKit allows some types of affiliate marketing. Namely, you can promote affiliate products and include affiliate links in your campaigns as long as you have your own business and affiliate marketing is not your main and only source of income. They also note that the affiliate links and products must be properly labeled and disclosed in your campaigns.
As far as automations and autoresponders go, ConverKit won’t disappoint you. Notable features include:
- Trigger automated responses based on subscriber behavior and engagement
- Set up visual automations based on different rules
- Keep track of your campaigns and monitor the open and click through rate
- A/B test your subject lines
- Resend campaigns to subscribers who haven’t opened them the first time.
Email Marketing Software to Avoid for Affiliate Marketing
As mentioned before, there are only a select few ESPs that support affiliate marketing. In fact, many email marketing platforms say specifically that they prohibit affiliate marketing such as MadMimi. You can take a look at their TOS for reference and to see other examples of prohibited use.
Others are a bit more vague about their stance on affiliate marketing. MailerLite is one such example. Their TOS states that affiliate marketing is prohibited but affiliate links are allowed. This can be confusing and you may inadvertently break their TOS even though you think you’re doing everything by the book. This can lead to your account getting suspended without notice.
Unless they say specifically they support affiliate marketing, steer clear. After all, it’s better to choose an email marketing provider that makes their stance unequivocally clear even if that means paying more than risk losing your email list that took you months or years to build.
Other software to avoid because they do not allow affiliate marketing include Mailchimp, ActiveCampaign, Constant Contact, and Sendinblue.
Earning money with affiliate marketing is a viable source of income and pretty easy to get started with. However, if you want to make the most out of your affiliate products, you’ll need an engaged email list.
While there aren’t many email marketing service providers that allow affiliate marketing, there are a few select companies that do allow it. We’ve curated the best of them in this article so use these tips to choose an email marketing platform that best suits your needs and your budget.